So I opened a browser to search for some inspiration and then draw my first pattern. To be exact, only the outline in black and white as I was not sure how to do the filling. I searched the EggBot wiki about a tutorial and soon found the "Drawing a smiley face" tutorial.
After a few hours of work I felt like trying it out for real. I went to the fridge to get an egg, set up the printer and mounted the egg. What can I say, nothing can be perfect for the first try:
|Drawing v1 in Inkscape|
|Egg printed with v1|
The pattern was too small and stretched. Also most parts of the egg were empty and that looked bad. What went well was the filling. But actually it went far too well as the pen went through the same places too many times. In the tutorial I was advised to use 4px for the stroke, but I increased it for the next print to 5px and it seemed to be the right choice with my Ultra Fine Sharpie pens.
I also edited the drawing, stretched it to look more natural on the egg and to make it bigger. I also added few patterns to the top and the bottom. I must say that the result was much better!
|Drawing v2 in Inkscape|
|Egg printed with v2|